<< Back to Healthcare
We assist hospitals with the many areas of healthcare law that affect them every day. Through the representation of community hospitals, tertiary care facilities, teaching hospitals, nonprofit institutions, and religiously affiliated hospitals, we have developed an understanding and appreciation for the unique and highly complicated issues these institutions face. We have the breadth of knowledge and experience to advise institutions on all facets of their organization, including corporate structure and governance, financing and contracting, certificates of need, capital project financing, regulatory compliance, medical staff governance and credentialing, recruitment and compensation, labor and employment, pension benefits, risk management, professional liability, workers’ compensation, and loss prevention. Our litigation attorneys also provide services on an as-needed basis in all areas, including professional liability and workers' compensation.
We assist our hospital clients by:
- Providing daily legal counsel to several hospitals on a wide breadth of matters, including corporate governance, physician practice acquisition, risk management, employment, medical staff governance, and bylaws development.
- Successfully challenging New Hampshire’s Medicaid Enhancement Tax as unconstitutional, leading to a landmark resolution for 25 hospitals through corrective legislation.
- Representing the "acquired" institution in connection with the state's first corporate affiliation of two nonprofit hospitals.
- Acting as counsel to the state's largest hospital in connection with the planning, approval, financing, development, and construction of a completely new academic medical center.
- Providing a strong defense team in high exposure medical malpractice claims.
- Playing a central role in the unprecedented disaffiliation of a multi-provider hospital network, including the attendant charitable trust and probate proceedings.
- Acting as counsel in connection with a civil antitrust investigation mounted by the federal Justice Department against a state-based provider.
- Acting as counsel to an "obligated group" of a number of healthcare organizations in connection with the issuance of several hundred million dollars of tax-exempt bonds by the bonding authorities of three different states.
- Acting as counsel in connection with the establishment and expansion of Northern New England's largest regional healthcare delivery system that included more than 10 healthcare organizations.
- Representing charitable healthcare and educational organizations whose real estate tax exemption was challenged by a municipality.